Windows updates bring some of the very cool features, driver update and security patch update which is very much essential for running our windows smoothly. But it becomes annoying when windows automatically download unnecessary updates which overload our system. Many windows users often make jokes about the updates they receive, because it takes a very long time to complete (yes, you should initiate your update overnight).
How to Disable Windows 10 Updates
There are different ways which can easily disable windows update permanently.
Method-1: Disable Windows Updates Via the Settings
Windows themselves offer Windows update disable/enable settings. For this setting to access go to your Windows Start menu and click on the ‘Settings‘ cog, and then go to ” Update & Security”.
Go to advanced options and then scroll down to the Pause updates. Select the date to which you want to pause the updates.
This is not the permanent solution as the updates will e active again after the selected date. Also you can’t select date for very long range, so this is kind of immediate solution only.
Method-2: Disable Windows Updates via Registry
The steps might vary for some windows versions but the basics will remain the same. To stop automatic updates through the registry follow below steps:
- Open Start.
- Search for regedit and click the top result to open the Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following path:
- Right-click the Windows (folder) key, select the New submenu, and choose the Key option.
- Name the new key WindowsUpdate and press Enter.
- Right-click the newly created key, select the New submenu, and choose the Key option.
- Name the new key AU and press Enter.
- Right-click the AU key, select the New submenu, and select the DWORD (32-bit) Value option.
- Name the new key AUOptions and press Enter.
- Double-click the newly created key and change its value (number only) to:
- 2 — Notify for download and auto install.
- 3 — Auto download and notify for install.
- 4 — Auto download and schedule the install.
- 5 — Allow local admin to choose settings.
- 7 — Auto Download, Notify to install, Notify to Restart.
These options work identically to the Group Policy settings, and number 2 is the closest option to disable Windows Update on Windows 10 permanently on your computer.
- Click on the OK button
- Restart your computer
Once you complete the steps, Windows 10 will stop installing updates automatically. However, you’ll receive notifications when new updates are available, allowing you to install them manually.
Note: You can always use the same instructions to restore the original settings, but on step No. 4, right-click the WindowsUpdate key, select the Delete option then reboot the device to complete applying the settings.
Method-3: Disable Windows Updates using Services
Go to RUN by pressing Win+R keyboard shortcut and search services.msc to access your PC’s service settings. Alternatively, you can also search service in the search box to find the services app.
Double click on “Windows update service” to access the General settings. Then click on the startup type and select disabled from the dropdown menu.
Once done click save and restart the PC to see the effect. Following this update will permanently disable the windows update. if you want to enable it again then follow the same procedure where you have to select the “Automatic” from the dropdown menu.
Final Thoughts: Disable windows update
Although it is always recommended to update to the latest security patches. But there are instances where you want full control over which updates to install. Also, there are instances when you want to save internet data for important purposes. Whatever be your reason to disable windows update, this above-discussed method works pretty well.